Monday, November 30, 2009

Jack Daniel's Spirit of Tennessee Cookbook

Author: Lynne Tolley and Pat Mitchamore
Paperback: 192 pages
Publisher: Nelsonword Publishing Group (October 13, 2009)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1595553010

My Review:

The Jack Daniel’s Spirit of Tennessee Cookbook by Lynne Tolley and Pat Mitchamore is not only a cookbook, but a trip down memory lane, as well. As a native Tennessean, I enjoyed reading about the old fashioned ways of my forefathers, much of which I remember as a child. Pastimes like spinning good-natured stories; raising Tennessee Walking Horses; hunting; breeding hound dogs; hog killing time; farmer’s markets; mule trading; mountain music; folk singing; whittling; and boarding house meals are talked about, and were all a part of my youth.

The cookbook also tells about the history of Tennessee and the famous Jack Daniel’s Whiskey brand. It offers many wonderful Southern recipes like: Pecan Pie; Bowl Game Punch; Traditional Southern Fried Chicken; Hushpuppies; Down in the Hollow French Toast; German Apple Pancake; Mr. Jack’s Spoon Bread; Country-Style Steak and Gravy; Tipsy Sweet Potatoes; and Jack Daniel’s Brownies and Glaze. I especially liked the Holidate Bars for Christmas.

Jack Daniel’s Spirit of Tennessee Cookbook is a unique blend of recipes, folksy history, Southern hospitality, and numerous regional photographs. The book is also user-friendly.
I highly recommend it for the home-cook or as a gift for the person who likes a little spirit in their food. I love my copy!


(Thank you to Thomas Nelson for my review copy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment